Division and Department:
||Catalysis Theory Research Division, Department of Fundamental Research
(Prof. Jun-ya Hasegawa)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Research Area and Scope of Work:
||Applications are welcome from theoretical/computational chemists who actively
develop theoretical/computational methods for catalysis under the strong motivation
in establishing catalytic principles and rational design of catalysts. The successful
applicant is expected to organize a research cluster in Department of Target
Research. The applicant is also expected to teach at the Graduate School of
Chemical Sciences and Engineering.
Expected Start Date:
Minimum Education Qualifications:
||A PhD in chemistry or related fields.
||Three months from the starting date.
See Article 10 of National University Corporation Hokkaido University Employment Regulations.
||Discretionary working system in the type of professional work.
The successful candidate will be deemed to have worked for 7 hours 45 minutes per
||The salary will be determined in accordance with the regulations of Hokkaido University.
||Employees' Pension Insurance (Kousei Nenkin)
MEXT Mutual Aid Association Health Insurance
Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance
Required Application Documents:
Deadline for Application:
||Submit the following (1) to (6) in:
- Hard copy in A4 format (or letter-size) by post; AND
- Electronic format by e-mail (create a PDF file for each document)
(1) Curriculum vitae including the applicant’s photo, date of birth, nationality,
current address, contact information, educational history since high school,
degrees acquired, other qualifications, and employment history*
*List all details if you have been employed since (or was employed starting on or
after) April 1, 2013 by Hokkaido University, of any positions held including
Part-time Lecturer, Teaching Assistant, Teaching Fellow, Research Assistant and
Short-term Support Assistant.
(2) Research achievements categorized into the following types: a) refereed
original papers, b) patents, c) reviews and commentaries, d) books, e) invited
lectures, f) grants received, g) research fields (within two), and h) honors received
(3) Brief summary of research activities to date (up to 2 pages in A4)
(4) Future aspirations in research careers and those with education activities in
Institute for Catalysis (up to 2 pages in A4)
(5) One recommendation letter or the names of two references with affiliation
information, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses
(6) Three offprints or photocopies of ten representative journal publications
||September 2nd, 2019(Japan Standard Time)
||Submit all documents described in the above "Required Application Documents" by
post* AND e-mail to
Postal address: Prof. Jun-ya Hasegawa, Director, Institute for Catalysis,
Hokkaido University, Kita 21 Nishi 10, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 001-0021, Japan
* Please mark "CV Enclosed –associate professor" in red on a commercial
envelope (or in the "Contents Description" field printed on a prepaid priority mail envelope).
* Applying from within Japan – send application by recorded delivery or Letter Pack Plus
* Applying from overseas – send application by international registered mail e.g. EMS
Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. All documents will be
responsibly shredded, and all data destroyed by our staff following a screening meeting.
Applicants may be asked to attend an interview if circumstances require.
Applicants will be responsible for any travel expenses incurred for the interview.
||Prof. Jun-ya Hasegawa, Institute for Catalysis, Hokkaido University, Kita 21 Nishi 10,
Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 001-0021, Japan
Tel: +81 11 706 9145 / Fax: +81 11 706 9145