Curriculum Vitae of Dr. rer. nat. habil. Detlef Bahnemann
Business address: Laboratory “Photoactive Nanocomposite Materials” (Director)
Saint-Petersburg State University, Ulyanovskaya str. 1, Peterhof, Saint-Petersburg, 198504
RUSSIA, e-mail: email@example.com,
and "Photocatalysis and Nanotechnology" (Head), Institut fuer Technische Chemie,
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universitaet Hannover, Callinstrasse 3, D-30167
Hannover, GERMANY, Tel.: +49-511-762-5560, Fax: +49-511-762-2774,
Born: April 20th 1953 in Berlin, Germany
Oct. 1972 - July 1977
Study of Chemistry at the Technical University Berlin. Recipient
of a scholarship of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
Oct. 1976 - June 1977
Study of Biochemistry at the Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
July 1, 1977
Diploma in Chemistry, Technical University Berlin (With Honors), Diploma Thesis: The Oxidation of Cyclic Organic Sulfur Compounds by Hydroxyl Radicals (Supervisor: Prof. K.- D. Asmus)
Nov. 1977 - June 1981
Research Scientist at the Hahn-Meitner-Institute Berlin with
Prof. K.-D. Asmus, research areas: radiation chemistry, free
July 3, 1981
Ph.D. in Chemistry, Technical University Berlin (With Honors),
title of thesis: Formation and Properties of Phenothiazine
Radical Cations. A Pulse Radiolysis and Stopped-Flow Study
(Supervisor: Prof. K.-D. Asmus)
July - Aug. 1981
Post Doctoral DFG-fellowship at the Hahn-Meitner-Institute
Sept. 1981 – Feb. 1988
Senior Scientist at the Hahn-Meitner-Institute Berlin with Prof.
A. Henglein, research areas: particulate photoelectrochemistry
and photochemistry, initiating research in photocatalysis
employing nano-scale metal and semiconductor particles.
1982 - 1988
Visiting Associate at the California Institute of Technology,
Pasadena (USA) with Prof. M. R. Hoffmann in the Department
of Environmental Engineering. Working on free radical
processes in the environment and on photocatalysis for
March 1988 – Apr. 2002
Department Head of the Photochemistry and Thin Film
Technology Department at the Institute for Solar Energy
Research in Hannover/Germany. In charge of the
Photocatalysis Research Group
since May 2002
Head of Photocatalysis and Nanotechnology Research Unit at
the Institute of Technical Chemistry, Leibniz University of
Hannover. Supervisor of Ph.D. and master theses.
since April 2002
Honorary Professor at the Robert Gordon University in
Aberdeen/Scotland (United Kingdom).
Habilitation in the field of Technical Chemistry at the Leibniz
University of Hannover.
since January 2014
Director of Megagrant Laboratory "Photoactive Nanocomposite
Materials" at St. Petersburg State University (Russia).
since July 2014
Supernumerary Professor in the Faculty of Natural Sciences at
the Leibniz University of Hannover.
Author of around 380 publications in refereed journals and in books and more than 100 other
publications with a current Hirsch-Factor (h-Index) of 68 (papers have been cited more than 31,000
times altogether) according to Web-of-Science. According to Google Scholar Citations the current
Hirsch-Factor (h-Index) is 79 and the papers have been cited more than 42,000 times altogether.
Presented more than 400 lectures at scientific meetings, in various universities, research institutes and
at industrial research and development centres (approx. 50% invited keynote and plenary lectures).
Editor of 5 Scientific Books.
1. M. R. Hoffmann, S. T. Martin, W. Choi, D. W. Bahnemann, “Environmental Applications of
Semiconductor Photocatalysis”, Chem. Rev. 95 (1995) 69-96
2. H. Zhang, G. Chen, D. W. Bahnemann, “Photoelectrocatalytic Materials for Environmental
Applications”, J. Mater. Chem. 19 (2009) 5089-5121
3. T. A. Kandiel, A. Feldhoff, L. Robben, R. Dillert, D. W. Bahnemann, “Tailored Titanium Dioxide
Nanomaterials: Anatase Nanoparticles and Brookite Nanorods as Highly Active Photocatalysts”,
Chem. Mater. 22 (2010) 2050-2060
4. L. Zhang, C. Baumanis, L. Robben, T. Kandiel, D. Bahnemann, “Bi2WO6 Inverse Opals: Facile
Fabrication and Efficient Visible-light-driven Photocatalytic and Photoelectrochemical Water-
Splitting Activity”, Small 7 (2011) 2714-2720
5. T. A. Kandiel, A. A. Ismail, D. W. Bahnemann, “Mesoporous TiO2 Nanostructures: A Route to
Minimize Pt Loading on Titania Photocatalysts for Hydrogen Production”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
13 (2011) 20155-20161
6. J. Schneider, D. W. Bahnemann, “Undesired Role of Sacrificial Reagents in Photocatalysis”, J.
Phys. Chem. Letters 4 (2013) 3479-3483
7. J. H. Pan, X. Z. Wang, Q. Huang, C. Shen, Z. Y. Koh, Q. Wang, A. Engel, D. W. Bahnemann,
“Large-scale Synthesis of Urchin-like Mesoporous TiO2 Hollow Spheres by Targeted Etching and
Their Photoelectrochemical Properties”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 24 (2014) 95-104
8. J. F. Montoya, D. W. Bahnemann, J. Peral, P. Salvador, “Catalytic Role of TiO2 Terminal Oxygen
Atoms in Liquid-Phase Photocatalytic Reactions: Oxidation of Aromatic Compounds in Anhydrous
Acetonirile”, ChemPhysChem 15 (2014) 2311-2320
9. T. A. Kandiel, I. Ivanova, D. W. Bahnemann, “Long-term Investigation of the Photocatalytic
Hydrogen Production on Platinized TiO2: An Isotpoic Study”, Energy Environ. Sci. 7 (2014) 1420-
10. J. Schneider, M. Matsuoka, M. Takeuchi, J. Zhang, Y. Horiuchi, M. Anpo, D. W. Bahnemann,
“Understanding TiO2 Photocatalysis: Mechanisms and Materials”, Chem. Rev. 114 (2014) 9919-
2002 - Honorary Professorship at the Robert Gordon University in
Aberdeen/Scotland (United Kingdom).
2011 - Erudite Professorship, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam (India).
2012 - DeTao Master of Photocatalysis, Nanomaterials and Energy
2013 - Guest Professorship at the Tianjin University in Tianjin (China).
2014 - Honorary Professorship at Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics &
Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Science (China).
2015 - Visiting Professor under Academic Icon Programme to the
Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University
Malaya in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
2015 - Visiting Research Professor in the School of Chemistry and Chemical
Engineering, Queens University Belfast (United Kingdom)
2016 - Visiting Professor in the Chemistry Department, College of Science,
University of Dammam (Saudi Arabia)
2017 - Medal "To the Memory of Academician N. M. Emanuel" presented by
the Russian Academy of Sciences and M. V. Lomonosov Moscow
State University (Russian Federation)
Amongst various other activities, Dr. Bahnemann has been elected and is currently active as:
• Chairman of the German DIN-Standardisation-Committee „Photocatalysis“ (NMP 293)
• Member of the European CEN-Standardisation-Committee „Photocatalysis“ (CEN/TC 389)
• Member of the International ISO-Standardisation-Committee „Photocatalysis“ (ISO/TC 206)
• Associate Editor of the Journal Catalysis Letters
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Advanced Oxidation Technologies
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, A: Chemistry
• Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Photoenergy
• Member of the International Scientific Committees of the following Conference Series:
International Conferences on Oxidation Technologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment
International Conferences on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy (IPS)
International Conferences on Semiconductor Photochemistry
International Conferences on TiO2 Photocatalytic Purification and Treatment of Water and Air
European Meetings on Solar-chemistry and Photocatalysis: Environmental Applications